June 24, 2004
"Wasn't the worst, neither the best"
I joined Meisen for dinner yesterday. The group was made up of Kelvin, Norman (nice meeting ya both), Reiko, Christian (my very eager chua member/brother), Meisen n me.
Dinner was at Banquet, China Square Central. Peeps, China square central is NOT China Square. The latter is the one in Raffles place, just opposite Far East Square (which is not the same as Far East Plaza or Far East SC). Stupid. Can't these developers think of less confusing names? Anyway, bunch of thanks to Mel for giving me directions how to go. Actually, peeps, all you should say is 'Fook Hai building' and I would know exactly where it is. hehe..
Still, it's my fault for hardly casting a glance at that place just behind chinatown point. neat place. Another new hang-out place for S.B.C!
***
Sat thru a session with these postgrads when they were not drunk. I know the last time, when they were, wasn't the worst. I'm sure last night wasn't their most intellectual too. Still, I was very engaged. We were talking about education system in Singapore (my pet topic) and then, the typical Singapore mentality towards having alternative discourse and making changes.
I kinda agree with both sides (ha, that's typical of me eh). Instead of revolting and public resistance, we should all start making changes in living our everyday and hopefully influence others around us to make that adjustment too.
It's not about imposing my discourse as the dominant one but to make many more others aware that their discourses should also have a fair chance to be heard. And, like it was mentioned quite a few times last night, if the next person you talk to stop taking our society and our structures for granted and start questioning the possibility of an alternative, that's where we would have succeeded.
At the same time, I also agree that it may not be enough to just make that change in one's everyday life. There's very little that one can do to change (n i'm saying not necessarily improve) the dominant hand. If we are serious about wanting to have a change of hand, getting organized is a crucial first step. But, the problem, like Reiko pointed out, is that Singaporeans don't seem to want to take responsibility for the things they actually can say or do to make a difference.
We are all afraid to end up selling books at Orchard Road.
***
Singapore is a sad place to live in. Yes, I knew that some good time ago. But, I'm only starting to feel existential.
Now, my work sorta defines me to a greater extent than I expected. Luckily, I don't feel like I'm labouring where I am working.
Posted by 杏 cy (Jancy) at 18:25